Specific restrictions apply to the transportation of certain objects in an aircraft. The amount or quantity of these objects is precisely defined. If these amounts are exceeded, transportation will be prohibited.
- Medical thermometer
1 per passenger
- Medical items (including spray cans)
The amount that is required on the journey
- Electronic cigarettes
Only permitted in hand baggage (may not be used on board)
- Lighters/box of matches
1 per passenger, carried by the individual
- Consumer electronic devices with lithium ion cells or batteries (max. 100 Wh)
Only in hand baggage
- Replacement batteries for portable electronic devices / rechargeable battery pack (powerbank)
Spare batteries may only be carried in hand baggage.
Maximum of 2 batteries of 100 Wh to 160 Wh output and only by prior registration.
Batteries over 160 Wh are not allowed.
- Dry ice
Max. 2.5 kg per passenger by prior registration
- Medical oxygen bottle
Only in checked baggage by prior registration; max. 5 kg cylinder
- Battery-powered wheelchairs and mobility aids for use on board
With non-spillable, spillable or lithium ion batteries by prior registration
- Portable oxygen concentrators, other electrical medical devices on board
By prior registration
- Heat-generating equipment (battery-operated underwater and diving torches, soldering irons)
Only in hand baggage and by prior registration
- Avalanche rescue backpack
Not allowed into or out of the USA
Otherwise 1 item per passenger by prior registration. Gas cartridge must be put in the backpack (spare cartridges not allowed).
- Life jacket
1 piece per passenger with prior registration
- Insulated packaging containing refrigerated liquid nitrogen
By prior registration
Registration and help
Transport of batteries
Share this page
Certain objects may not be transported on an aircraft at all. They are not permitted in the hand or checked baggage, and will be confiscated. In the first instances, these items are objects that could endanger passenger health and safety. SWISS accepts no liability for confiscated objects.
Samsung Galaxy Note 7 banned on all SWISS flights
SWISS extends its ban that prohibits the smartphone Samsung Galaxy Note 7 on board to all SWISS flights with immediate effect. The phone must not be carried on board, hand baggage or checked baggage. So all our passengers are requested not to take the phone on board. In other case boarding will be denied. This procedure is applied by all carriers within the Lufthansa Group (incl. Edelweiss).1-4
Articles of daily use
- Briefcases and diplomat's cases with built-in alarm devices
- Primary non-rechargeable lithium batteries and cells. Rechargeable batteries for mobile phones and laptops are exempted.
- Flammable solid items such as matches and other flammable and combustible materials
- Flammable, non-flammable, deep-frozen and toxic propellants
- Lighter gas
- Camping gas
- Camping stove
- Combustible paste (e.g. for a fondue)
- Flammable liquids such as lacquers, thinners, petrol or solvents
- Flammable and non-flammable paints
- Objects that release flammable gases on contact with water
- Irritant gases such as pepper spray, KO sprays etc.
- Gas for lighters, camping stoves and burners
- Butane gas bottles
- Gas cylinders
- Blue flame lighters or cigar lighters
- Carbon cartridges for mineral water preparation
Goods that pose a risk to health
- Radioactive material
- Toxic and infectious substances (viruses, bacteria)
Other dangerous goods
- Explosives, ammunition, fireworks and signal rockets
- Non-rechargeable lithium batteries and cells from 2 g lithium per battery
- Oxidising substances such as bleach and peroxide
- Corrosive substances such as acids, mercury, alkaline and cell battery liquids
- Magnetic objects and other substances that are classified as dangerous
- Electric shock weapons (e.g. tasers) with explosives, compressed gases or lithium batteries
- Lithium battery powered transportation devices (e.g. hoverboards, balance wheels)
- Combustion engines (e.g. lawnmower, powered saws)
- Blasting caps
- Detonators and fuses
- Mines, grenades, and other explosive military stores
- Smoke-generating canisters and smoke-generating cartridges
This list is not complete.
- Swiss International Air Lines does not offer any storage facilities at the airports.
- If passenger decides not to travel, refund policy as per respective fare type conditions apply.
- Complementary hotel accommodation will not be granted.
- The passengers will be informed via swiss.com and at the gate.