Passport & Visas

Well prepared for your trip

Switzerland has joined the Schengen visa scheme on December 12, 2008. Therefore all Chinese nationals must have a valid visa to enter the Schengen Area, except if they have a valid residence permit which enables them to stay in the Schengen Area.

Holders of a passport from Hong Kong SAR, BNO or Macau SAR may enter the Schengen area without a visa up to 90 days per half-year.

A residence permit issued by the Migration Office of the relevant canton is required for a stay beyond 90 days .

The following requirements apply for visa application to Switzerland (Schengen Member State)

  • Two passport photos
  • Passport valid for at least three months after date of return to China
  • Passport containing at least two blank visa pages
  • The passport is issued within the previous ten (10) years
  • For non Chinese nationals: a residence permit for China, valid until after the return is required
  • A medical insurance

Passport Requirements

Check in plenty of time to make sure that your passport is still valid for a sufficient period of time and that it meets Schengen requirements. If this is not the case, then please extend your passport.

Schengen visa information

Depending on your stay in Switzerland you will need to apply for a short stay Schengen visa or a long stay national visa in order to travel to Switzerland.

Short stay Schengen visa (Type C) are visas issued by a member of the Schengen Area and is valid for only for Schengen countries, for a short stay up to 90 days.

Long stay national visa (Type D) are valid only in the country which issued the visa for an establishment or a stay of more than 90 days . The national visa allows transit through other Schengen countries and for some long stay it also allows to travel freely throughout the Schengen area. There are different types of long stay visas:

- Family reunion
- Studies in Switzerland
- Spouse of Swiss Citizen
- Spouse of E.U. Citizen

Visa regulations for Switzerland