1. Purchase seat reservation
- Passengers who are booked on a SWISS operated flight (LX) with an issued ticket can reserve a seat.
- A maximum of one seat is bookable per route per passenger. This is possible online up to 48 hours before departure.
- The seat reservation does not have to be made at the same time as the flight booking. You can reserve your seat later through your personal profile.
- Charges quoted on swiss.com will be billed in the currency of the flight departure country.
- The receipt will be available to print on swiss.com following confirmation of purchase and will be emailed to the address specified during the purchase process.
- On the continental route network1, you are entitled to a seat with the chosen seat characteristic (e.g. window / aisle) but not to the seat number you have chosen.
- The seat reservation applies only for the flight indicated on the confirmation, and is valid until you have completed your flight.
- The same conditions apply for children as for adult passengers.
- The confirmation for your seat reservation must not be copied or amended. SWISS reserves the right to take legal action in the event of fraud.
- We reserve the right to change online offers, rates and conditions at any time without prior notification. The choice of bookable seats varies constantly depending on the offer and demand.
1.1 Seats with extra legroom
SWISS offers Economy Class seats with extra legroom on numerous flights. Some of these seats are emergency exit seats, which is why passengers on these seats must comply with the following:
- Passenger must be at least 16 years of age.
- Be able to read and understand instructions in English language, and comply with crew instructions in the event of an emergency.
- Have the capacity to perform the required duties without the assistance of a companion, parent, or other relative.
- Be willing and capable to assist in the unlikely event of an emergency.
- Not be travelling with someone who needs their assistance in an emergency.
- Not have a condition or responsibility that might prevent them from performing these functions or cause them to suffer bodily harm while performing these functions.
Failure to comply with these requirements will invalidate a reservation for one of these seats. The paid charge will not be refunded, and you will be given a different seat at the airport or on board. In the event of doubt, the crew will decide.
1.2 Flights to/from USA only
Swiss designates certain bulkhead and extra legroom seats as “priority seats” for individuals with disabilities. If the designated “priority seats” have been assigned to other passengers, Swiss reserves the right to reassign seats as needed to accommodate a person with a disability. If you have paid for a seat assignment, you will be entitled to a full refund.
2. Using the seat reservation
Have the confirmation of your seat reservation and the credit card used for the reservation ready when you check-in at the desk or automatic check-in. Your seat reservation is valid only for the flight and date shown on the confirmation.
3. Refund charges
Seat reservations purchased and paid for at swiss.com cannot be transferred and will not be refunded. This also applies in these cases:
- You change your reserved seat again when you check-in.
- You have reserved a seat by an emergency exit but do not meet all the conditions (Chapter 1.1), and fail to notify SWISS via the Service Center at least 24 hours prior to flight departure.
- You have paid for a seat reservation, and then your Miles & More status rises to a level where this service is not chargeable.
- SWISS upgrades you from Economy to a higher class (Business Class or First Class) out of goodwill or for operational reasons, and you have already paid for a seat reservation.
The charges for seat reservations will only be refunded in these cases:
- You do not meet the requirements listed in item 1.1 and you have informed SWISS about this fact via the Service Center at least 24 hours prior to your flight departure.
- SWISS changes the seat category on your continental flight for operational reasons.
- SWISS changes the seat numbers on your intercontinental flight for operational reasons.
4. Change flight
If you change your flight, you are also responsible for changing your seat reservation. There is no charge for changing your seat if you reserve a seat at the same or a lower price on the new flight. The charge will apply if you reserve a seat at a higher rate.
The charges will not be refunded if you change to a different route, airline or if the reserved seat category (on European flights) or the reserved seat number (on intercontinental flights) is no longer available on the new flight.
If changing from Economy to a higher class (Miles upgrade or by paying the difference in tariffs), the charge for the seat reservation will be refunded.
The same conditions apply for children as for adult passengers.
Your seat reservation is valid until you have completed your flight with SWISS. The confirmation will then cease to be valid and cannot be refunded.
7. Lost confirmations
If you use the electronic confirmation for your seat reservation, you can request a new one through "Manage my bookings".
8. Conditions of carriage
All seat reservations are subject to the SWISS Conditions of Carriage for passengers, baggage and other services.
- Albania, Algeria, Andorra, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark (excluding Greenland), Estonia, Faroe Island, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia The Former Yugoslav Republic, Malta, Moldova, Montenegro, Morocco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal (including Azores and Madeira), Romania, Russia, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain (including Canary Islands), Svalbard & Jan Mayen Island, Sweden, Switzerland, Tunisia, Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom, Vatican City
1. Service Purchase
- Purchase is available to customers with ticketed reservations for SWISS operated (LX) flights only.
- A maximum of one service may be purchased per segment by each passenger.
- The purchase can be made directly when booking your flight ticket or afterwards up to 48 hours prior to flight departure through swiss.com/profile.
- Charges quoted on swiss.com will be billed in the currency of the flight departure country.
- The receipt will be available to print on swiss.com on confirmation of purchase and will be sent by e-mail to the address specified during the purchase process.
- The advance seat reservation receipt might not be copied and changed in any way. SWISS reserves the right to take legal action in case of fraud.
- SWISS reserves the right to change the rates, terms and conditions of the advance seat reservation at any time with or without notice.
- SWISS reserves the right to re-seat you in case of operational reasons although you have purchased the seat in advance. In this case the full amount of your advance seat reservation will be refunded. BeS Comment: It would be advisable to indicate the expected timeframe for the completion of the reimbursement. Ticket refund rules provided for in ANAC’s regulations should ideally be observed for this service as well. Please let us know if you need more detailed information on such rules at this time.
1.1. Application for Privacy seats
In Intercontinental Business Class operated by the long-haul aircraft (A330-300, A340-300, B777-300ER), SWISS offers seats for advance seat reservation with more privacy and additional storage space. These seats are referred to as Privacy seats.
- Reservation is only possible if the flight is operated by aircraft types Airbus A330-300, Airbus A340-300 or Boeing 777-300ER
- Privacy seats can only be reserved on intercontinental flights. Some routes might be excluded. If a long-haul aircraft operates on the EU network, it is not possible to reserve the seats.
You can find out the exact position of the Privacy seats from the seat maps.
- You must present your online receipt in printed or digital form (e.g. Email) at the airport check-in desk on departure together with the credit card used for your purchase.
- Service is valid only for the flight and date shown on the receipt.
- Advance seat reservation purchased on swiss.com (hereinafter referred to as “ASR”) is not refundable, except as provided for hereto.
- ASR purchased on swiss.com is not refundable in case of voluntary rebooking and the booked seat characteristics cannot be fulfilled on the new flight.
- ASR is not refundable if the customer rebooks onto another carrier. The advance seat reservation is not refundable in case the customer is not able to be seated on the purchased seat.
- Exception: If a customer pro-actively informs SWISS that he is not able to sit on the purchased seat prior to the day of departure (due to health reasons or any other justified reason which may reasonably prevent passenger from seating in the purchased seat), a refund can be requested at the Service Center.
- Reseating during check-in on the request of the passenger (seat selection free of charge) does not qualify for a refund in any case.
- In case of rebooking to First Class (by paying a flat amount or the respective fare difference, via M&M upgrade or any other upgrade products), advance seat reservation is refundable (Needs to be requested by the customer proactively).
- Pre-paid advance seat reservation purchased on swiss.com is refundable in case the seat characteristics cannot be fulfilled out of operational reasons (refund needs to be requested by the customer proactively).
- If you rebook your flight, you need to rebook your advance seat reservation to the new flight pro-actively. If advanced seat reservation is rebooked on the new flight by the passenger, no additional costs for the passenger will incur.
- The document expires and is non-refundable after your journey with SWISS is completed, for which the pre-paid advance seat reservation is issued.
- In case of involuntary rebooking and the advance seat reservation characteristic cannot be fulfilled, advance seat reservation is fully refundable. This does not apply if the new seat has a higher value (e.g. Standard seat to preferred zone)
- Involuntary upgrade (in e.g. overbooking situations) to a higher compartment does not qualify for refund.
The same rules and rates apply for seats that are purchased for children as for adult passengers.
6. Lost e-documents
Lost e-documents can be re-sent through swiss.com/profile.
7. General Conditions of Carriage
All advance seat reservations is subject to SWISS General Conditions of Carriage for customers (to be reviewed by Sales Policies).